Sunday, April 27, 2008

NFL Draft

I actually did watch both days -- all 15 hours or however long -- of the NFL Draft, proudly wearing a Lions jersey. I didn't pay much attention to college football last season, to be honest, so I didn't know much about the draft class like I usually have in the past. However, there was one member of the draft class that I -- and every audience member at Radio City, as well as the ESPN commentators -- was hoping would have his name called. That one player was Caleb Campbell, a safety from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Campbell was looking forward to leading a platoon in Iraq if he wasn't chosen today. Every time he was mentioned or shown on screen, the crowd erupted into chants of "Ca-leb Campbell" or "U.S.A., U.S.A." It was undoubtedly the most exciting moment of the draft, despite being the 11th pick in the 7th round (218th pick overall). And what team selected Caleb Campbell with that pick? The Detroit Lions. I've never been so proud to be a Lions fan.

Even better, I just found this question and answer from NFL.com's player profile on Campbell, compiled before the draft:

Q. Growing up, who was your favorite NFL player and why?
Campbell: Barry Sanders. He was unstoppable.


I agree, Caleb Campbell. That's the main reason I became a Lions fan, and have been through many painful years since Barry Sanders left.



------------
The link below is the NFL.com article about Caleb Campbell being drafted by the Lions:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80807e53&template=with-video&confirm=true

No comments: